Tuesday 2 August 2011

Favorite Cards: Wayne Gretzky 1995-96 Topps O-Pee-Chee Parallel #85

Digging through my hard plastics I have from when I was collecting as a kid I came across this one - a Topps/O-Pee-Chee Gretzky parallel from 1995-96.  I can't remember exactly how I received the card but I'm almost 100% sure that it was through a trade with a friend in elementary school, considering the fact that I don't have many of these Topps cards in my collection.


And now over sixteen years later, I think I appreciate and like this card more than ever.  I really love the photography shot on the card; in my head I imagine that Gretzky is about to rush up the ice and go end-to-end.  Also, for some reason these days I just can't get enough of those old school LA Kings jerseys; the white, black and silver.  I'm not even sure what colors or even what logo the Kings are going with these days but they should just go back to the "Silver and Black" era.  But anyway, the fact that the card is a parallel is only an added bonus here.




Not much to say about the reserve of the card other than it's a far cry from what we usually see on todays backs.  Another nice shot of the Great One and not just a recycled image from the front of the card.  The back also includes full career stats leading up to the release of the series including even his WHA days.  Also tucked away on there is a pretty full bio of the player; last amature club they've played with and how they were accquired by their current team - yeah, it's in there.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...